Pet Surrender Information
We understand that life is hard and sometimes pet owners may be unable to continue caring for their pet, but surrender should be considered a last resort. ACCT Philly serves over 18,000 pets annually and shelter resources are tight!
Please review the following information that can help you keep or rehome your pet instead of surrendering, and consider reaching out to the Citizens for a No Kill Philadelphia Help Desk at email@example.com
We also have information regarding low cost vet care. Keeping your pet out of the shelter can save their life and the lives of other shelter pets.
Owner Surrender – By Appointment Only
ACCT Philly accepts owner surrenders by appointment only. It is very important to understand that this method of managed-intake gives your pet the best possible chance of a live exit and avoiding euthanasia. To learn more about managed-intake and how it has saved the lives of thousands of pets across the country, click here.
How to Make An Appointment
- Please call us at 267-385-3800 x700 and a Client Service Representative will set up an appointment for you.
- Please arrive within 10 minutes of your appointment so we can provide the best possible service.
What to Bring, Fees, and Important Information
- Please bring a valid photo ID that shows you are at least 18 years of age and live in Philadelphia. ACCT Philly only provides services to the residents of the City of Philadelphia.
- Veterinary records or other paperwork related to your pet’s health, if your pet has every been to a veterinarian. If you don’t have copies of your pet’s records you can ask your veterinarian to fax them to us (215) 261-6092.
- $10 Surrender Fee (Cash, check and credit cards are accepted.)
If Your Pet is Severely Sick or Injured
Please call us at 267-385-3800 x700 to discuss surrender options, or seek veterinary care (we can not provide emergency veterinary services). We are also not able to perform owner present euthanasia.
DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: Any advice provided by the Animal Care & Control Team of Philadelphia (ACCT Philly) is for informational purposes only. Some acctphilly email address may be managed by volunteers of ACCT Philly and do not necessarily represent the views of ACCT Philly or ACCT Philly staff. Behavior and training advice and suggestions provided are not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a professional dog trainer or qualified animal behaviorist. ACCT Philly expressly disclaims any and all liability, expressed or implied, with respect to the service and advice received. Your reliance on the advice provided and/or content of ACCT Philly’s website or email communications is solely at your own risk.
In addition, none of the content on ACCT Philly’s website or in communications from ACCT Philly representatives is intended to constitute veterinary advice or any other advice of a professional nature. You should always consult your own veterinarian, dog behaviorist or other applicable professional for advice before making important decisions about your pet. Never disregard medical or professional advice, or delay seeking it, because of advice provided by ACCT Philly representatives. You should also ask your veterinarian to assist you in interpreting any behavioral advice provided and in applying the information to your individual case.