- Adoption hours are 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. We may need to stop accepting new adopters into the building if projected wait times extend past the office’s closing hours. Coming early is recommended. Those who are not able to adopt the same day will be provided a voucher for one free adoption
- Adoption requirements may have changed since the last time you adopted from us, so please see below for requirement details.
- Adoption fees are waived for this event, however, there may be additional fees.
- Adopting an animal is a fun and exciting experience! Please be patient as we all work hard to CLEAR THE SHELTER!
What will I need to adopt?
Whether you are adopting a dog or cat, you will need to show the following in order to be approved:
- Valid photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, or passport)
- Proof of residence (a bill, paystub or shipping receive dated within the last thirty days)
- A copy of your lease if you rent. Make sure to read over your lease- check that it clearly states that you can have pets. If not, you will need to obtain written and signed letter or addendum from your landlord. Most of our dogs are mixes of bully breeds so make sure your landlord is ok with those breeds. Homeowners should also check with their home insurance policy or condo/homeowner association to make sure there aren’t any breed or size restrictions. So check your lease and check it twice to make sure that you are all set to adopt!
Who should I bring with me?
- Bring the entire human family. Choosing a new pet is a fun and exciting experience that everyone in the family should take part in! When adopting a cat, we ask that only human family members come.
- If adopting a dog, you MUST bring any children under the age of 16 with you. You must also bring any dogs you already own with you. When meeting your potential new dog, we want to make sure everyone gets along, so pack up the family and bring them in!
- We want the adoption process to run smoothly and having your paperwork and family present is the best way to keep the line moving and helping you find the best pet for your family!
Our adoption fees will be waived for the Clear the Shelter event. That means you will be getting a spayed or neutered animal who is up to date on shots and has received a flea/tick preventative for free!! There are additional fees that may be necessary so here is a quick rundown of what you can expect:
- Cats: If you do not have a carrier with you when you come to adopt, you can purchase a cardboard carrier for an additional $5. ACCT also offers optional FIV/FeLV testing at a fee of $25. Microchips can be provided for $10.
- Dogs: For dogs, you will still have to pay a $16 licensing fee if you live in the city of Philadelphia. If you do not have a collar and leash, you will have to pay $3 for a temporary leash. ACCT also offers optional 4DX testing for dogs to detect any tickborne illnesses at a cost of $25. Microchips are included at no cost for dog adoptions!