Main Shelter Hours
- Weekdays from 1 p.m. – 8 p.m. and
- Weekends and holidays from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Here’s what you can expect
- After viewing adoptable pets and finding a few you’d like to meet, you will be asked to fill out a brief adoption application
- Adoption Counselors will review your application and go over any questions they may have. The counselors are trained to help you find a purrfect match – we want you to adopt the pet of your dreams! They know the animals well, so if you have questions or need advice, just ask!
- Once your application is approved, you can meet your matches and spend time getting to know them
- When you find “The One”, your application will be processed, you pay an adoption fee and sign an adoption contract, and congratulations: you are a new pet parent!
Tips to Make the Process Go Smoothly
- Very Important: Please bring an up-to-date photo ID, with additional proof of address (such as lease or water bill) if the address is outdated
- Dog adopters who rent must provide proof that dogs are allowed on the lease. We can call landlords if you do not have a lease.
- We require all children and resident dogs to meet potential new doggie family members. This is for everyone’s safety
- We sell cardboard cat carriers for $5, but you are welcome to bring your own
- All Philadelphia residents are required to purchase a Philadelphia dog license at the time of adoption
We have numerous other adoption locations where pets are housed or visit weekly and monthly. Please bring photo ID with your current name and address.Adoption fees vary from as low as zero dollars – that’s right, no fee – to $300 depending on the age, species, and type of animal. We frequently offer special adoption discounts and promotions; check out the News page for details!
The adoption fee for dogs and cats includes your new pet’s spay or neuter surgery, microchip (for dogs only), age appropriate vaccinations, deworming, and an offer for 30 days of free pet health insurance from ShelterCare. Cats and kittens can be adopted two for the price of one through our Adopt-A-Buddy program.
Thinking about adopting but concerned you may suffer from pet-related allergies? Check out HealthLabs.com to be tested quickly and easily, and adopt with confidence.
Download an adoption questionnaire here.
If you have any questions about adoptions or about any of our adoptable friends, please email us at email@example.com, or call us at (267) 385-3800.
DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: Any advice provided by the Animal Care & Control Team of Philadelphia (ACCT Philly) is for informational purposes only. Some acctphilly email address may be managed by volunteers of ACCT Philly and do not necessarily represent the views of ACCT Philly or ACCT Philly staff. Behavior and training advice and suggestions provided are not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a professional dog trainer or qualified animal behaviorist. ACCT Philly expressly disclaims any and all liability, expressed or implied, with respect to the service and advice received. Your reliance on the advice provided and/or content of ACCT Philly’s website or email communications is solely at your own risk.
In addition, none of the content on ACCT Philly’s website or in communications from ACCT Philly representatives is intended to constitute veterinary advice or any other advice of a professional nature. You should always consult your own veterinarian, dog behaviorist or other applicable professional for advice before making important decisions about your pet. Never disregard medical or professional advice, or delay seeking it, because of advice provided by ACCT Philly representatives. You should also ask your veterinarian to assist you in interpreting any behavioral advice provided and in applying the information to your individual case.